Thursday, August 16, 2007

Setting Up Eclipse for Python Development

I should have made this list while I was doing it, but here is what is required to set up Eclipse for developing Python code and using Subversion version control (I think!):
  1. Get the following downloads (if you haven't already):
    1. Python (2.5.1 is current as of this post)
    2. Eclipse (I downloaded Eclipse Classic and 3.3.0 is current as of this post)
  2. Install Python. Python has a great installer.
  3. Install Eclipse. There doesn't seem to be an installer for Windows -- so you have to just extract to your Programs directory (or wherever you like).
  4. Install dependency plugins in Eclipse. I'm not entirely certain what these plugins do, but they are required for the Eclipse Subversion and Pydev plugins to work. There are two you need to install via Help > Software Updates > Find and Install:
    • One is Buckminster in Europa Discover Site > Other Tools. I checked everything with "Buckminster" in the title and unchecked "Eclipse Monkey."
    • The other is Mylyn. Installation instructions are on the Mylyn site.
  5. Install Subclipse. Installation instructions are on the Subclipse site.
  6. Install Pydev. Fabio Zadrozny has great installation instructions for Pydev on his site. I would run through the example that Fabio provides to make sure everything works.
I have done this on a Windows XP setup and a Mac OS X setup and all seems to work fine. I will be setting this up on a Ubuntu box later as well. I haven't done anything but test this out with a quick "Hello World" command line application. Stay tuned for more...

No comments: